The KC Wizards U19 Juniors opened their National Championships successfully with a 3-2 victory early this morning. The 7:30 am kickoff against Freestate United was probably a blessing for both sides, as humidity is expected to push the heat index into the 100’s in Little Rock today. Check out Hillcrest Road and Down the Byline for match details or a KCW Juniors blog has been created to provide information on the team and will be available after noon. In the group’s other game, Solar 89 (Texas) defeated Colorado Rush Nike 4-3.
Let’s take a look at some of our junior boys in blue:
- Goalkeeper Scott Angevine – Junior at Northern Illinois University from Blue Valley Northwest H.S. where he won the state championship as a senior and was an NSCAA All-American nominee. Also punted and kicked for the high school’s football team. Recorded three shutouts at Regionals, including a clean sheet in the Championship, to qualify the juniors for Nationals.
- Austin Eanes – Also from Blue Valley Northwest H.S., he was a 2005 Class 6 2nd Team All State selection. Now plays defense at the University of Evansville where he appeared in 6 games in 2007.
- William Koss – Also from Blue Valley Northwest H.S. where he was a three-year captain and won NSCAA All-Midwest Region and All-State honors. Member of the 2006 US U-20 team that played in the Busan International in South Korea. Plays midfield at Loyola University, appearing in all 19 of their matches as a freshman in 2007.
- Josh Westberg – Also from Blue Valley Northwest, he scored 20 goals and 18 assists as a senior and was named Honorable Mention All-American and First Team All State. Now attends Loyola University Chicago. Sophomore forward who had 1 goal and 2 assists in 17 games as a freshman.
- Goalkeeper Alex Burton – Class 5A First Team All-State at Lansing High School. Pictured here and here during a 2005 Regional victory over Bishop Miege. Started 18 games at Baker University in 2007, conceding 23 goals.
- Matt Griffin – Also playing at Baker University, Matt is a sophomore defender who tallied 1 goal and 2 assists in 17 games in 2007. Olathe East H.S. alum.
- Ian Christenson – Blue Springs South H.S. alum, will be an incoming freshman at Graceland University (open tryout addition Kevin Souter’s alma mater).
- Giovanni Edward – Also a Graceland University player (article on the two’s accomplishment here) – scored 3 goals in 21 appearances in 2007. Plays for the PDL’s Des Moines Menace. Scored in the Regionals semi-final.
- Chase McCoy – Plays at Hastings College in Nebraska, recording 2 goals and 2 assists in 18 appearances in 2007. He was a 2006 Class 3 All-State and NSCAA All-Region V selection at forward at Blue Springs H.S.
- Tyler Nichol – Also a Blue Springs H.S. grad (story on them being reunited), Nichol plays at Rockhurst University but did not appear on the stat sheet for the Hawks in 2007.
- Brett Heinz – Midfielder at Butler University from Leawood, Kansas (1 assist in 20 appearances in 2007). Played high school at Blue Valley North where he was a two time state runner-up and set school records for career points, goals in a game, and points in a game.
- Curt McDonald – Also a Blue Valley North alum (Class 6A First Team All State and NSCAA All Region V in 2006), played in 22 games for Furman University in 2007 earning 2 goals and 1 assist. Scored the game winning goal in the Regional Championship to qualify the Juniors for nationals.
- Tyler Schwab – Also from Blue Valley North (First Team All State and All Region in 2006), Tyler is a redshirt freshman at Marquette University after injuring his shoulder in 2007.
- Coleton Henning – Gatorade Kansas Boys Player of the Year. Won 2006 Class 5A State Championship at St. Thomas Aquinas H.S. in a season when he scored 26 goals and 10 assists and was named a NSCAA All-American. Followed it up his senior season with 25 goals and 15 assists in winning another state championship (Aquinas’ fifth straight) and another NSCAA All-American selection. He will be a freshman at Furman University this Fall.
- Spencer Nash – Scored 24 goals and 8 assists in his junior campaign, and 17 goals and 4 assists as a senior at Mill Valley HS last Fall and was named class 5A first team All State. Pictured here.
- Matt Kuhn – Raytown South HS product where he scored 34 goals as a junior, he is now a sophomore midfielder at Drake University – started 19 games, tallying 6 goals and 6 assists in 2007.
- Michael McDonald – Sophomore at Rockhurst University, appeared in one game for the Hawks in 2007. From Blue Valley HS (Class 6A Second Team All State in 2006).
- Kyle Miller – Also a sophomore at Rockhurst University, from St. Thomas Aquinas H.S (Class 5A First Team All State). Played in 20 games for the Hawks, netting 1 goal and 3 assists.
- Michael Perry – Sophomore defender at the University of Denver, also from St. Thomas Aquinas H.S (First Team All State and NSCAA All Midwest Region team in 2006). Played in 13 games as a freshman in 2007, recording 1 assist.
- Kelly Porter – Played in 16 games as a freshman at Coastal Carolina, scoring 5 goals and 1 assist. At Trinity Academy, he scored 33 goals in his senior season to bring his high school total to 103 goals scored. Two time 2nd Team All State Selection and four time 1st Team All Region honoree.
Filed under: Uncategorized |