The boys in blue return to action in Kansas City for the first time since April 12th, playing the Colorado Rapids in a U.S. Open Cup qualifier at Shawnee Mission North H.S. at 7 tonight. The winner will earn their spot in the tournament’s round of 16. Last season the Wizards failed to qualify, losing 2-1 at Real Salt Lake in extra time.
Taking a brief look at the opposition:
- In first place in the Western Conference, albeit with a .500 record
- Second best goal differential in the league, +4
- League worst 2 goals scored in 1st half; league best 14 goals scored in 2nd half
- 5-0 when scoring first; 0-5 when conceding first
- Colorado did not travel several regular starters for the match, including Ugo Ihemelu, Nick Labrocca, Christian Gomez, Conor Casey, and Tom McManus.
- Additionally, goalkeeper Bouna Condoul is with the Senegal National Team and Pablo Mastroeni is with the US National Team.
- Colorado boasts three players from St. Louis University: Brian Grazier (2007), John DiRaimondo (2006), and Tim Ward (2004).
HillcrestRoad and Andrew Wiebe at KC Futbol will be doing running commentaries. And according to the Wizards’ press release when the deal was announced in February, the game should be broadcast on La Gran D 1340 AM (Espanol) and La Playa 1480 AM (English).
Games not shown on Metro and/or TWC 5, including U.S. Open Cup matches and major friendlies, will still be broadcast via radio.
Finally, prior to tonight’s game, some Wizards fans will be gathering at The Blue Moose Bar and Grille (71st and Tomahawk in Prairie Village) to watch the USA – Spain match at 4:30 on ESPN2. Former Wizards Josh Wolff and Eddie Johnson are in Bob Bradley’s squad as the nats take on the 4th-ranked Spainards in their Euro 2008 warmup.
Filed under: Uncategorized |